Alexander Payne book news
The plaudits for my Alexander Payne book keep coming in. First there were glowing remarks from national film critic Leonard Maltin and novelist (“True Believers”) and “Studio 360″ host Kurt Andersen, and now there are these generous words from Nebraska Educational Television legend and UNL emeritus professor of broadcasting Ron Hull:
“Leo Biga, through his extraordinary talent with words, brings us a fascinating, comprehensive, insightful portrait of the work and artistry of Alexander Payne. Mr. Biga’s collection of essays document the evolution and growth of this significant American filmmaker and he includes relevant historical context of the old Hollywood and the new. His keen reporter’s eye gives the reader an exciting journey into the art of telling stories on film.”
Thank you, Ron. By the way, his own new book, “Backstage,” is a delightful read.
In case you missed it, here’s what the earlier endorsements said:
“Alexander Payne is one of American cinema’s leading lights. How fortunate we are that Leo Biga has chronicled his rise to success so thoroughly.” Leonard Maltin
“I’d be an Alexander Payne fan even if we didn’t share a Nebraska upbringing: he is a masterly, menschy, singular storyteller whose movies are both serious and unpretentious, delightfully funny and deeply moving. And he’s fortunate indeed to have such a thoughtful and insightful chronicler as Leo Biga.” Kurt Andersen
The book, “Alexander Payne: His Journey in Film – A Reporter’s Perspective 1998-2012,” can be pre-ordered at AlexanderPayneTheBook.com.
Preview the book at www.facebook.com/LeoAdamBiga.
Remember to come out for my 1 pm singing at The Bookworm this Saturday, Nov. 10
If you can’t make that, come to St. John Greek Orthodox Church for my signing on Friday, Nov. 16 at 6:30 pm
- Another sweet endorsement for my Alexander Payne book… (leoadambiga.wordpress.com)
- I Am Personally Inviting You to My Next Book Event…Sat. Nov. 10 at The Bookworm, 1 pm (leoadambiga.wordpress.com)
- Alexander Payne’s ‘Nebraska’ Comes Home to Roost: The State’s Cinema Prodigal Son is Back Filming Again in his Home State after Long Absence (leoadambiga.wordpress.com)
Author-journalist-blogger Leo Adam Biga resides in his hometown of Omaha, Nebraska. He writes newspaper-magazine stories about people, their passions, and their magnificent obsessions. He's the author of the books "Alexander Payne: His Journey in Film – A Reporter's Perspective 1998-2012," a compilation of his journalism about the acclaimed filmmaker, and "Open Wide" a biograpy of Mark Manhart. Biga co-edited "Memories of the Jewish Midwest: Mom and Pop Grocery Stores." His popular blog, leoadambiga.wordpress.com, is an online gallery of his work.
- Filmmaker explores a Latina whose story defies all conventions; Maria Agui Carter to speak after E... nblo.gs/1038YI 3 days ago
- Filmmaker explores a Latina whose story defies all conventions; Maria Agui Carter to speak after El Museo... tmblr.co/ZLwDem1RBZNcA 3 days ago
- Filmmaker explores a Latina whose story defies all conventions; Maria Agui Carter to speak after El Museo… wp.me/pTQQZ-2CH 3 days ago
My Favorite Tags
My Favorite Categories
Calendar of Blog Posts
Categories from A to Z and # of Posts
- Color-blind love: Five interracial couples share their stories
- Jim Taylor, the Other Half of Hollywood’s Top Screenwriting Team, Talks About His Work with Alexander Payne
- Danny Woodhead, The Mighty Mite from North Platte Makes Good in the NFL
- Gabrielle Union, A Star is Born
- Long-Separated Brother and Sister from Puerto Rico Reunited in Omaha
- Screenwriting Adventures of Nebraska Native Jon Bokenkamp, Author of the Scripts 'Perfect Stranger' and 'Taking Lives'
- From the Archives: Monika Kelly Recalls her Late Father, the Beloved Clown and Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey Circus Legend, Emmett Kelly Sr.
- Brotherhood of the Ring, Omaha's CW Boxing Club
- Radio One Queen Cathy Hughes Rules By Keeping It Real
- Brandeis Story: Great Plains Family-Owned Department Store Empire
- Filmmaker explores a Latina whose story defies all conventions; Maria Agui Carter to speak after El Museo Latinoscreening of her film ‘Rebel’
- Rock photographer Janette Beckman keeps it real;Her hip-hop and biker images are at Carver Bank in Omaha, where she’s doing a Bemis residency
- Nebraska Cultural Endowment Livelihood blog features Leo Adam Biga – Omaha journalist/author writes about people, their passions and their magnificent obsessions
- Rabbi Azriel’s neighborhood welcomes all, unlike what he saw on recent Middle East trip; Social justice activist and interfaith advocate optimistic about Tri-Faith campus
- Educator Ferial Pearson’s Secret Kindness Agents project now a book; Random acts of kindness prove healing and habit-forming
- Omaha North superstar back Calvin Strong overcomes bigger obstacles than tacklers; Record-setting rusher poised to lead defending champion Vikings to another state title
- JOURNEYS: Omaha’s Henry Doorly Zoo calls African Grasslands Project the Metro’s Next Big Thing
- Next generation of North Omaha leaders eager for change: New crop of leaders emerging to keep momentum going
- New endorsement for my Alexander Payne book from James Marshall Crotty
- Change Agent: Mark Evans leads OPS on bold new course full of changes in his first year as Omaha Public Schools’ superintendent
- Omaha performer Brenda Allen recalls her friendship with Johnny Cash: Ring of Fire pays tribute to iconic singer-songwriter
- Star-studded lineup of artists at North Omaha Summer Arts Crawl – Friday, August 8 from 6-9 pm
- 389,408 hits