Look for my new Reader cover story on Alexander Payne and his film, “The Descendants,” starring George Clooney. It was shot entirely in Hawaii this past spring. This issue should be out on the stands tonight or tomorrow — that is, June 23rd or 24th. If you’re not in Omaha, you can find the story on the Reader website, http://www.thereadercom, by late June 24 or early June 25.
The film’s seriocomic story is set in Hawaii. Kaui Hart Hemmings, the author of the same-titled book upon which the movie is based, lives there and she was a big help to Payne in nailing Hawaii details. Her novel by the way is a great read. Payne’s script is quite faithful to her work.
The movie likely won’t be out until 2011, but because it stars Clooney and because this is Payne’s first feature since “Sideways,” there is great anticipation about it. Look for another cover story about the project around the time the film hits theaters.
Author-journalist-blogger Leo Adam Biga resides in his hometown of Omaha, Nebraska. He writes newspaper-magazine stories about people, their passions, and their magnificent obsessions. He's the author of the books "Alexander Payne: His Journey in Film – A Reporter's Perspective 1998-2012," a compilation of his journalism about the acclaimed filmmaker, and "Open Wide" a biograpy of Mark Manhart. Biga co-edited "Memories of the Jewish Midwest: Mom and Pop Grocery Stores." His popular blog, leoadambiga.wordpress.com, is an online gallery of his work.
- When cancer struck beloved Omaha performer Camille Metoyer Moten, she shared her odyssey and faith on... tmblr.co/ZLwDem1XuZWhM 6 days ago
- When cancer struck beloved Omaha performer Camille Metoyer Moten, she shared her odyssey and faith... nblo.gs/1226bO 6 days ago
- When cancer struck beloved Omaha performer Camille Metoyer Moten, she shared her odyssey and faith on Facebook wp.me/pTQQZ-2G6 6 days ago
My Favorite Tags
My Favorite Categories
Calendar of Blog Posts
Categories from A to Z and # of Posts
- Having Survived War in Sudan, Refugee Akoy Agau Discovered Hoops in America and the Major College Recruit is Now Poised to Lead Omaha Central to a Third Straight State Title
- Long-Separated Brother and Sister from Puerto Rico Reunited in Omaha
- Color-blind love: Five interracial couples share their stories
- John Beasley and Sons Make Acting a Family Thing at the John Beasley Theater & Workshop and Beyond
- Brandeis Story: Great Plains Family-Owned Department Store Empire
- Man on Fire: Activist Ben Gray's Flame Burns Bright
- Goodwin's Spencer Street Barber Shop: We Cut Heads and Broaden Minds, Too
- About Leo Adam Biga
- From the Archives: Monika Kelly Recalls her Late Father, the Beloved Clown and Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey Circus Legend, Emmett Kelly Sr.
- Hire Me
- When cancer struck beloved Omaha performer Camille Metoyer Moten, she shared her odyssey and faith on Facebook
- Omaha couple Mauro and Christine Fiore forge a union based on film and family
- Charles Ahovissi brings West African culture to the Heartland: African Culture Connection uses dance, music to tell indigenous yet universal stories
- Breaking the mold: Opera Omaha re-imagines the gala
- Gabrielle Union having it all between her own series, new film, producing, marriage and family
- Having it all: Viv Ewing
- All Abide: Abide applies holistic approach to building community; Josh Dotzler now heads nonprofit started by his parents
- North’s Star: Gene Haynes builds legacy as education leader with Omaha Public Schools and North High School
- What do Oscar-winning filmmaker Alexander Payne and WBO world lightweight boxing champion Terence “Bud” Crawford have in common?
- Feeding the World, Nourishing Our Neighbors, Far and Near: Howard G. Buffett Foundation and Omaha Nonprofits Take On Hunger and Food Insecurity
- Nebraska Film Currents
- Masters David O. Russell and Alexander Payne matched wits at Film Streams Feature VI event
- 412,246 hits