Look for my new Reader cover story on Alexander Payne and his film, “The Descendants,” starring George Clooney. It was shot entirely in Hawaii this past spring. This issue should be out on the stands tonight or tomorrow — that is, June 23rd or 24th. If you’re not in Omaha, you can find the story on the Reader website, http://www.thereadercom, by late June 24 or early June 25.
The film’s seriocomic story is set in Hawaii. Kaui Hart Hemmings, the author of the same-titled book upon which the movie is based, lives there and she was a big help to Payne in nailing Hawaii details. Her novel by the way is a great read. Payne’s script is quite faithful to her work.
The movie likely won’t be out until 2011, but because it stars Clooney and because this is Payne’s first feature since “Sideways,” there is great anticipation about it. Look for another cover story about the project around the time the film hits theaters.
Author-journalist-blogger Leo Adam Biga resides in his hometown of Omaha, Nebraska. He writes newspaper-magazine stories about people, their passions, and their magnificent obsessions. He's the author of the books "Alexander Payne: His Journey in Film – A Reporter's Perspective 1998-2012," a compilation of his journalism about the acclaimed filmmaker, and "Open Wide" a biograpy of Mark Manhart. Biga co-edited "Memories of the Jewish Midwest: Mom and Pop Grocery Stores." His popular blog, leoadambiga.wordpress.com, is an online gallery of his work.
- Filmmaker explores a Latina whose story defies all conventions; Maria Agui Carter to speak after E... nblo.gs/1038YI 2 days ago
- Filmmaker explores a Latina whose story defies all conventions; Maria Agui Carter to speak after El Museo... tmblr.co/ZLwDem1RBZNcA 2 days ago
- Filmmaker explores a Latina whose story defies all conventions; Maria Agui Carter to speak after El Museo… wp.me/pTQQZ-2CH 2 days ago
My Favorite Tags
My Favorite Categories
Calendar of Blog Posts
Categories from A to Z and # of Posts
- Color-blind love: Five interracial couples share their stories
- The Man Behind the Voice of Husker Football at Memorial Stadium
- Radio One Queen Cathy Hughes Rules By Keeping It Real
- From the Archives: Monika Kelly Recalls her Late Father, the Beloved Clown and Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey Circus Legend, Emmett Kelly Sr.
- The Storz Saga: A Family Dynasty - Their Mansion, the Brewery that Built It, the Man Who Loved It, a Legacy of Giving, the Loss of a Dream
- A Q & A with Theater Director Marshall Mason, Who Discusses the Process of Creating Life on Stage
- A Brief History of Omaha’s Civil Rights Struggle Distilled in Black and White By Photographer Rudy Smith
- Remembering Omaha Old Market Original, Fruit and Vegetable Peddler Joe Vitale
- Entrepreneur, Strategist and Nation Builder Taylor Keen
- Ron Stander, a One-Time Great White Hope, Still Making the Rounds for Friends in Need
- Filmmaker explores a Latina whose story defies all conventions; Maria Agui Carter to speak after El Museo Latinoscreening of her film ‘Rebel’
- Rock photographer Janette Beckman keeps it real;Her hip-hop and biker images are at Carver Bank in Omaha, where she’s doing a Bemis residency
- Nebraska Cultural Endowment Livelihood blog features Leo Adam Biga – Omaha journalist/author writes about people, their passions and their magnificent obsessions
- Rabbi Azriel’s neighborhood welcomes all, unlike what he saw on recent Middle East trip; Social justice activist and interfaith advocate optimistic about Tri-Faith campus
- Educator Ferial Pearson’s Secret Kindness Agents project now a book; Random acts of kindness prove healing and habit-forming
- Omaha North superstar back Calvin Strong overcomes bigger obstacles than tacklers; Record-setting rusher poised to lead defending champion Vikings to another state title
- JOURNEYS: Omaha’s Henry Doorly Zoo calls African Grasslands Project the Metro’s Next Big Thing
- Next generation of North Omaha leaders eager for change: New crop of leaders emerging to keep momentum going
- New endorsement for my Alexander Payne book from James Marshall Crotty
- Change Agent: Mark Evans leads OPS on bold new course full of changes in his first year as Omaha Public Schools’ superintendent
- Omaha performer Brenda Allen recalls her friendship with Johnny Cash: Ring of Fire pays tribute to iconic singer-songwriter
- Star-studded lineup of artists at North Omaha Summer Arts Crawl – Friday, August 8 from 6-9 pm
- 389,192 hits